I was asked how to reduce the distance between subtitles for my romanized/pinyin karaokes and I offered my solution by request.
Site for my .ass file (yes, it is called ass!) : http://cantokaraoke.tumblr.com/
And this tumblr blog allows everyone to view all the romanised karaokes in a neat way.
- Download Aegisub, which is a subtitle creator.
- Download the romanized karaoke in MP4 form. Firefox Plugin like Video DownloadHelper can do the job perfectly.
- Open Aegisub, choose “Video”, click “Open Video” and open the video you downloaded .
- Choose “Audio” and click “Open Audio from File”.
- Open the .ass file I provided from “Open Subtitle”, which is under “File”.
- Choose “Subtitles”, open “Style Manager” and double click “Default”.
- Go to “Alignment” part and adjust the position of the subtitle by clicking on the numbers.
- You can further adjust the position of the subtitle by altering numbers in “Margins”
- Click “Apply” to see the result and remember to “Save Subtitles”.
If you don’t mind watching videos in Aegisub, you can stop here. However, if you want to combine .ass file and mp4, you have to do the following steps.
- Download Avidemux, a video editor
- Open the video you downloaded from “Open”, which is under “File”. When you see a popup telling you “H.264 detected”, click no.
- Choose either “MPEG-4 AVC/MPEG-4 ASP (Xvid/mpeg4)” in “Video” column.
- Keep “Audio” column untouched and choose mp4 in “Format”.
- Click “Filters” in “Video” column to open “Video Filter Manager” , choose “Subtitles” and then double click “ASS” to open the .ass file you modified.
- Close the filter manager and then open it again to watch the preview.
- Finally, go to “File” and “Save” to “Save Video”.